We supply individual training sessions that allow users to work independently within a few hours. It is recommend to work with your own samples during these instructions to ensure that settings of microscopes are optimal to obtain useful data straight away.
To allow evaluation of productivity and thus continuation of financial support by the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine we ask users to acknowledge us in published material. An example could be:
“Images were acquired in the Center for Cellular Imaging (CCI) at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine Utrecht and we thank … for help and technical advice”. When CCI staff members contribute significantly to published work we rely on the scientific integrity of the authors to obtain co-authorships in return.
Use of the microscopes is charged according to the table below.
|Rate (€/HOUR)||General Use||Instructions|
|CCI equipment||Internal Cost||External Cost||Commercial||Internal||Commercial|
|Leica SPE-II Confocal||15||25||50/var||25||80/var|
|High end PC - Workstation||0||10||10/var||n.a.||n.a.|
Daily charges run from 07:00 to 21:00, an overnight session costs €50,- (internal rate). External commercial fees need to be negotiated with the staff (var in the table).
– We are in a ML2 designated area so wear a lab coat and do not eat or drink in the microscopy rooms.
– After live cell experiments on the NIKON system, empty TOKAI-hit water basin using vacuum pump, place 70% EtOH in the basin and leave for ~10 minutes. Empty using vacuum pump again and dry the basin with tissues. The right collection flask vacuum pump should contain Chloride solution (10x solution=1 SUMA tablet/liter), and should be emptied the day after imaging.
– Collect solid waste in plastic bags that are placed in the frame next to the sink, after finishing close it and dispose in yellow bin in the corridor (next to the gas cylinder cabinet)
– Spill accidents need to be cleaned using EtOH and/or supplied soap solution. ALLWAYS notify the CCI staff when this occurs
– Clean up mess before and after use
– Take your data from the system, next users can have a freezing PC when the hard drive is full
– Be careful with objectives, clean using proper cloths
– Prevent accumulation of dust by placing cover(s) over mic after use
– Cells can be kept in our incubator, yet we choose NOT to humidify it, less contamination result from this. Humidifying your cells is done by placing dishes inside 15 cm dishes together with a pre-wetted tissue or an open milliQ-filled dish.